In #OneDrive the content you load and share, is yours. So you’re the owner of it. Which is why I suggest to companies to have their users put content into #SharePoint / #MicrosoftTeams as much as possible – when that content is shared by a team / group of people. This way the ownership is shared. But there’s still a lot of content which resides in #OneDrive, so it’s a good idea for administrators to be aware of the options and settings that should be applied.
8 Things I think you should know:
- When a user is deleted in the Office 365 admin center, the administrator should choose what happens to that user’s product licenses, email and OneDrive.
- You can give another user access to the OneDrive and they will have 30 days (default) to access and download the files.
- Automatic access delegation can be setup to pass the ownership to the user’s manager by default (this needs to be turned on in the SharePoint admin center).
- Mails will be sent to the Manager informing them of the delegation and another reminder will be sent 7 days before expiry.
- When the user’s manager is not specified, you need to assign a secondary admin.
- The default retention period for OneDrive is 30 days (can be changed in the OneDrive Admin Center)
- After the 30 days, the OneDrive is deleted and sent to the Site Collection Recycle Bin where it is kept for 93 days.
- Should you need to restore the OneDrive after it is sent to the Site Collection Recycle Bin – you will need to use PowerShell.
Purpose of this blog challenge: I will write 365 blogs in 365 days around Microsoft 365. I did a similar challenge with Office 365, blogs can be found https://tracyvanderschyff.com/microsoft-365/ . I won’t just be talking about the new Microsoft 365 subscription model. I will be sharing any news, tips and tricks around Office / Office 365 / Windows / Mobility and Security. And let’s not forget all the great new Apps & services available. A lot of what I’ll share on Office and SharePoint will also be applicable to none “Office 365” versions.
“You can also find me contributing to REgarding 365. I’m a member of a group of enthusiasts, sharing their stories, thoughts and opinions about Microsoft 365. Catch us at https://regarding365.com | @regarding365 on Twitter and regarding365 on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/regarding365 ”
Disclaimer: I create content about Office / Microsoft 365. Content is accurate at time of publication, however updates and new additions happen daily which could change the accuracy or relevance. Please keep this in mind when using my blogs as guidelines.