To get different results, we need to do things different. Man alive! I’ve repeated that quote so many times I might as well tattoo it on my arm. Let’s face it, we’re not trying to ‘sell’ #Microsoft365 | #Office365 to robots are we? We’re hoping to get humans to “adopt” it and be happy doing so. Which brings me to the question: “Why are we not targeting it at humans then?”
Digital transformation: are you ready for exponential change?
This incredible video by Futurist Gerd Leonhard always gives me goosebumps and touches on a subject, very important & dear to me: humans. If you haven’t seen it, please watch it – it’s only 4 minutes:
My favourite quotes from this video are:
- “Good enough, is dead.”
- “There is only one space left to innovate in: You.”
- “The way we work will never be the same again.”
- “Anything that cannot be digitized or automated, will become extremely valuable.”
- “Human only traits… will be even more important in the future, because machines are very good at simulating, but not at being.”
- “Technology represents How of change, but humans represent the Why.”
- “We will engage, relate and buy things because of the experiences they provide.”
And all I can say is thanks Gerd for supporting what I’ve been saying for years (kidding, he most probably said it first, but I’m happy to know I’m not alone in my thinking).
Maslow’s hierarchy of needs
So we hopefully agree that we’re doing this for humans and this leads me to my next crazy idea, and that is about Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs and our Work / Life Balance. Let’s say we sleep 8 hours a night, so that leaves 8 hours at work and 8 hours at home. Which means that Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs should apply to you work as well, equally, and not just on some of the levels.
So as you can see below, a huge chunk of that triangle is made up of touchy-feely stuff! And no, that’s not a bad thing, humans are made up of about 90% water and the rest are feelings, so we’re just crazy cucumbers with anxiety, and that’s ok 🙂
Having the ability and opportunities to grow, feel better about ourselves & get along better with those around us, is what’s important. So why do we still think that by just supplying the physical environment (infrastructure, hardware & software) to our users checks all the boxes? What a crazy idea…
People buy experiences, not products
I’m no expert in the psychology behind buying, and believe me, I’m figuring things out as I go, like the rest of us. But, if you take a look around you, see what people are buying and why, it makes you think.
I don’t need to name specific products or brands, but there’s a couple of them that hits the nail on the head. Their products are more expensive, and not necessarily always the better option, but people stand in rows for hours to purchase the latest model etc. These products make people feel sexy, powerful and where applicable due to price and availability – exclusive | special. They could have had a similar device with same features at a tenth of the price, but nooooo….. sexy and powerful. We’ll have some of that, please, thank you, take my money.
Microsoft | Office 365
Now let me tell you about the new sexy kid on the block (well not that new, but wow, it’s had a super sexy makeover). Microsoft / Office 365 supplies all the apps and services to completely transform your users. With adequate training your users will be enabled, capable, efficient and so much more productive, with growth opportunities to excel and innovate. It’s going to check all those boxes on the Maslow Hierarchy of Needs. Because in the end, everyone deserves to be happy at work.
So let’s do something different, to get different results. Let’s invest back in our greatest assets – our employees.
Below you’ll see how Microsoft 365 supports and helps build the digital literacy skills necessary to help our employees become “Digital First Citizens”:
I’m talking about Microsoft | Office 365 (cloud not on-premises). Here’s some resources to explain what that is:
- Get the most from Office with Office 365 (Compare all products)
- Office 365 for business FAQ
- Microsoft Office 2019 or Office 365 ProPlus – that is the question
- South Africa (world), are you #Office365 / Cloud Ready?
Not sure where to get started, here’s some resources to help you out:
- Fast Track your #Office365 Roll Out
- FastTrack for Microsoft 365
- Microsoft 365 Learning Pathways
- Microsoft Adoption Resources
- Microsoft 365 Documentation
- Plan for Office 365 Enterprise
As explained above, it’s all about the users. Microsoft’s Mission is to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. Investing in your employees through training and communication allows for building healthier company cultures where self and lifelong learning, innovation, creativity and diversity becomes ingrained in what we do.
- Why users are not adopting Microsoft | Office 365
- Digital Literacy and the Impact on User Adoption
- ROI on Training, transform your business!
- PC Literacy basics everyone should know
- Digital Literacy and the Evolution of Finding Stuff
- From Talent to Skill with #Microsoft365
Moving to the Cloud or stuck somewhere without adoption? Contact me for a FREE 60 minute, Microsoft 365 Immersion Experience.
Disclaimer: I create content about Office / Microsoft 365. Content is accurate at time of publication, however updates and new additions happen daily which could change the accuracy or relevance. Please keep this in mind when using my blogs as guidelines. And yes, I change my mind all the time as well, because “The only thing that is constant, is change”.