#Microsoft365 – Projects Online offers full portfolio and project management tools on the web. It is NOT a web-based version of Projects Professional.
For previous posts in my #Microsoft365Challenge go to the index page.
Project Online is an entirely separate service that offers full portfolio and project management tools on the web. It includes Project Web App, and can, depending on your subscription, also include Project Online Desktop Client, which is a subscription version of Project Professional. Read more…
Things to know:
- Project Online is NOT a web based version of Project Professional
- Project Online is used to manage multiple projects, track work with timesheets and balance your resources.
- Project Online is a hosted version of Project Server
- Project Online includes Project Web App and depending on your subscription could also include the Project Online Desktop Client (subscription version of Project Professional)
- Project Online is available in three plans — Project Online Essentials, Project Online Professional, and Project Online Premium.
- Project Online builds on SharePoint Online and follows the same data backup policy as SharePoint
- Your Project Online service requires the use of SharePoint Online, which will be provisioned for you as part of the Project Online service.
- 30,000 projects per Project Web App site.
- Your connection speed matters as it takes longer to load more projects
- Project Online is not included in the Office 365 plans and can be purchased as a standalone plan.
- Some Dynamics 365 plans includes Projects Online
See below comparison between the various plans to help you make a better decision:
|Project Online Essentials||Project Online Professional||Project Online Premium|
|Add-on module for project team members||Project management in the cloud through desktop client and web-browser||Complete project and portfolio management solution|
|Fully installed, up-to-date Project application||This Feature is not included|
|On up to 5 PCs||On up to 5 PCs|
|Team members can update tasks from any device.|
|Capture project and non-project time spent for payroll, invoicing, and other business purposes.|
|Team members can share documents and use Skype for Business to communicate on a project.|
|SharePoint task sync||X||X||X|
|Synchronize your projects with SharePoint task lists.|
|Project planning and scheduling||This Feature is not included||X||X|
|Includes familiar scheduling tools like Gantt charts and built-in customizable templates to get you started.|
|Reporting and business intelligence||This Feature is not included||X||X|
|Track and monitor project health including everything from burndown charts to financials.|
|Publish projects to the cloud||This Feature is not included||X||X|
|Save your projects to the cloud for ease of access across devices and seamless collaboration with your team.|
|Manage project resources||This Feature is not included||X||X|
|Assign resources to project tasks and use resource engagements to request and lock in resources.|
|Portfolio selection and optimization||This Feature is not included||This Feature is not included||X|
|Model different portfolio scenarios to determine the best strategic path by weighing project proposals against strategic business drivers.|
|Demand management||This Feature is not included||This Feature is not included||X|
|Capture and evaluate project ideas from anywhere in the organization through a standardized process.|
|Plan and manage enterprise resources||This Feature is not included||This Feature is not included||X|
|View and compare how resources are used across projects to optimize assignments.|
|Out-of-the-box portfolio reports||This Feature is not included||This Feature is not included||X|
|Aggregate project data to gain insights across portfolios.|
See the quick start guides here.
This video will give you a great overview:
- Get started with Project Online
- Project Training
- Quick Start Guides for Project Online and Project Server 2013
- Supporting your Project Online adoption with a Project Management Office (PMO)
- Plans & pricing
- Project Online software boundaries and limits
- Project Online Service Description
Purpose of this blog challenge:
I will write 365 blogs in 365 days around Microsoft 365. I did a similar challenge with Office 365, blogs can be found here. I won’t just be talking about the new Microsoft 365 subscription model. I will be sharing any news, tips and tricks around Office / Office 365 / Windows / Mobility and Security. And let’s not forget all the great new Apps & services available. A lot of what I’ll share on Office and SharePoint will also be applicable to none “Office 365” versions.
Feel free to #AskBraam if you have questions or would like me to write about a specific topic. I’ve created a Flow to monitor Twitter for the #AskBraam hashtag and will try my best to incorporate any questions into the blogs, or answer them directly on Twitter. This is a “Learning through Sharing” approach to teach my pet sheep about Microsoft – read more on this here.
Leave a Reply